Monday, March 30, 2009

The TV Is Still In A Coma


It has been THIRTY days since we shut off the TV. I read somewhere that it only takes 30 days to form a habit. So, by that reasoning, we should have fully formed the habit of not watching TV by now, right? NOT!

This has really been a struggle for me. I have found that I am trying so hard to keep busy and fill my time that I am completely exhausted. I miss just zoning out, relaxing in front of the TV, letting *it tell me what to think.

I've overheard the kids discussing old episodes of favorite TV shows that they remember. We all cringe when anyone talks about a show we missed or asks what we thought about the latest episode. Or the worst was, last night, my mother in law says she has to get home to watch Celebrity Apprentice. UGH, stab straight to the heart. The thing is, she didn't give it a second thought. The only time it has impacted her was when the kids were at her house and couldn't turn the TV on. This thing that is constantly in our thoughts has not impacted anybody around us.

That is the biggest lesson we have all learned. How we take for granted things that a lot of people do without. I will be able to draw on this experience in teaching my children compassion for all those in the world who have less than them. Also, how to face temptation and turn away from it, just as Jesus did. I guess that was the anticipated outcome of all this. It is so much more difficult to deprive yourself of something that is right in front of you, tempting you, calling you, than to learn to make do without something that is not available to you.

0 comments: