Saturday, January 17, 2009

Coop de Coop's Egg Rolls


I don't know if these meet the actual specifications of an egg roll, but that is what we call them.
1 package large egg roll wrappers
1 bag coleslaw mix
1 can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
green onions, sliced
1 /2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. ginger
1 T sesame oil
1/4 c soy sauce

vegetable oil for frying


The measurements are guesses. I just pour it all in a bowl and mix it up. You can add any veggies you like to the filling. Then scoop some filling into the middle of an egg roll wrapper. Roll them up, being sure to tuck the ends in. Use a little water on the edge to seal them up. Fry in oil, turning once, until golden brown and crispy. I serve with a sweet and sour dipping sauce.










3 comments:

Angie said...

I never thought of using coleslaw mix....smart idea.

Sheri said...

I have been thinking a lot about Lumpia. And those egg rolls sounds so yummy. Oh, how I miss egg rolls. Sigh!!! Today we did pick up rice paper wraps and I was hoping someone (Angie) could help me make spring rolls. But I do agree, coleslaw mix is a great short cut.

Jenny said...

When I make egg rolls, I quickly saute the veggies to wilt them a bit. I think I can get them nicely rolled, have fewer poke-throughs and they stay nice and plump looking after frying. And instead of soy sauce, we use hoisin sauce for flavoring the filling.

Hmmm, egg rolls and lumpia... I guess those would be "Asian Pasties"...