Sunday, January 18, 2009

Coop de Coop's Potato Soup


3- 14 oz cans chicken broth
5 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
garlic powder
dehydrated onion
ground black pepper
green onions (optional)
sour cream (optional)


Pour chicken broth in large pot. Bring to a boil. Add potatoes and seasonings, simmer until potatoes are tender. I use an immersion blender to puree the soup to the desired consistency. You can make it as chunky or smooth as you like. My family prefers to find bites of potato. If you don't have an immersion blender, you could use a blender as well. Once soup is desired consistency, stir in cheese until melted and add bacon. If you top with green onion and sour cream, it tastes like a baked potato. I serve this with a nice crusty bread and a green salad.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I think I will try this recipe.

Jenny said...

This is very similar to my Potato Soup. What I find great about any potato soup is that it can be used for a base for corn chowder, clam chowder, chicken chowder, baked potato soup. I frequently add some celery and carrots for color and extra nutrition, not to mention added flavor.

For corn chowder: just add frozen or canned corn the last 10 minutes or so of cooking.
For clam chowder: add minced clams the last 10 minutes.
For chicken: add left-over cooked chicken at the end.
Baked potato soup: use left over baked potatoes for this and then top with sour cream and onions like Jen mentions.

Thanks for reminding me to add this wonderfully flexible soup to our rotation of meals.